Information for Stallholders
Please find below information for stallholders of practical arrangements for the Silchester Village Market in the Village Hall, Silchester.
The information covers areas such as parking, refreshments and waste disposal, and important E,H&S information.
Please take a few minutes to read this before you travel to our Market.
With respect to other stallholders we try hard to ensure that stallholders are not in competition with each other on the day, unless by mutual agreement. Accordingly, if you do bring along items for sale that have not been agreed beforehand you may be asked to remove items for sale.
- Fees – We ask stall holders to pay 10% of sales, to be passed over in cash at the end of the Market.
- Timings – The Market will run from 10.00-12.30.
- Parking – The Village Hall will be open from 9.00am on Saturday morning. The car park just outside the Hall is not very big, and we would like to ask that you only use it to offload before the market. Please then move your vehicle to either in front of the Calleva Arms public house which is a public road, not private land, or the Village Green car park just a short walk away. This will allow space for customers in the Village Hall car park You can then return to the Hall car park to load up again after the market has closed.
- Tables indoors – When you arrive at the market, unless you wish to bring your own, a table will be available for you and you will find one with your name on it. Chairs are available if you would like one. Please ask and we will point you in the right direction. We would be very grateful if, after the market, you would kindly take the time to fold up your table and replace it at the back of the hall.
- Space outdoors – If you are allocated space outdoors, we would expect you to bring your own gazebo, maximum 3m square. We would prefer you to bring your own table.
- Refreshments – An early morning “cuppa” will be provided whilst you are setting up. Thereafter, teas, coffees and soft drinks, bacon or sausage sandwiches and cakes are on sale from the Market Café at the rear of the building. If you cannot leave your table, then please let us know at the start of the morning if you would like tea / coffee / cake and we will arrange for it to be brought to you at (approximately) the time you request. Please make your payment to the person bringing your order.
- Fire safety – When you arrive in the Hall, please familiarise yourself with the location of the fire exits, which are the main front door; the door to the right of the stage; or the door out of the Club room (to the side of the hall). Should the fire alarm be set off, please leave the Hall immediately by the nearest exit. It won’t be a test!
- Environmental, Health and Safety – The Hall has public liability insurance for the premises only. Each stallholder is responsible for ensuring that any products they sell comply with relevant E,H&S requirements, and they have insurance appropriate to their business. If you are selling food, please ensure the buyer is made aware of any recommended ‘use by’ dates or special storage requirements.
- Waste disposal – We would be very grateful if you could take your own waste away with you for disposal.
- Additional requirements – If you have any special requirements e.g. access to power source etc. please ensure you let me know in good time.
- Labelling – The labelling of your products should comply with the appropriate regulations. For information, please refer to the following website.http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingstandards/tradingstandards-businessadvice.htm. If you then select the Food option that will take you to a number of factsheets relating to the composition and labelling of food.
There are factsheets aimed at those producers selling just at market.
- Food labelling for small retailers-dealing with those producers just selling directly from home or from a market stall
- Labelling of packaged goods
Ann Hodder is the Trading Standards Officer for Hampshire, and she is happy to check any proposed labelling and give advice. You can contact her tel: 01962 833643, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, Hampshire County Council, Montgomery House, Monarch Way, Winchester SO22 5PW
Our aim is constant improvement so we welcome your feedback and value your suggestions. If you have time at the end of the Market and would like to give us your feedback whilst it is fresh in your mind then please let us know. Otherwise do send an e-mail.
Whether you are a regular or occasional stallholder, you are very important to us, and we want to build successful, lasting partnerships with all our stallholders.
We look forward to welcoming you at the Market and hope you have a really successful and enjoyable morning.